The Value of the Teacher in the 21st Century

  


August 2026 – Series: Lifelong Learning



We live in curious times.

Never before has it been so easy to access knowledge. In a matter of seconds, we can consult an entire encyclopedia, read scientific research, watch lectures given by experts from any country, or ask artificial intelligence about almost any topic.

Paradoxically, it has never been so difficult to know whom to trust. Today, data abounds, but discernment is scarce. And precisely for that reason, I believe there has never been a better time to be a teacher.

Just a few decades ago, the teacher was seen, above all, as the person who possessed knowledge. The student went to them because they knew the historical dates, the mathematical formulas, the grammatical rules, or the principles of a particular discipline.

Today, that reality has changed. Information no longer lives only in books or in a teacher's memory. It is everywhere. Then an inevitable question arises:

What value does a teacher have when any student can obtain information in a few seconds?

I think the answer is simple. The teacher is no longer primarily the one who delivers answers. They are the one who teaches how to ask better questions. And that profoundly changes the nature of teaching.

It is no longer enough to transmit information. Now we must teach how to think. How to distinguish between a reliable source and a dubious one. How to recognize when an argument is well-constructed and when it attempts to manipulate us through emotions, fallacies, or half-truths. How to discover our own biases before pointing out those of others. In other words, the teacher teaches something much more valuable than data: they teach critical thinking.

And critical thinking isn't downloaded from the internet. It is developed.

We live surrounded by information carefully edited to capture our attention. Headlines designed to provoke outrage. Short videos that oversimplify complex issues. Images created or altered by artificial intelligence. Opinions presented as if they were facts. Facts presented out of context to support an agenda.

In this environment, education is no longer simply about filling a mind. It consists of teaching them to protect it. I believe that's one of the great responsibilities of the 21st-century teacher. Not teaching what to think. Teaching how to think.

That requires more than mastering a subject. It requires humility. Because a good teacher isn't afraid to say, "I don't know." On the contrary, they turn that phrase into an invitation to investigate together with their students.

When that happens, the classroom ceases to be a place where one person speaks and the others listen. It becomes a learning community. And I find that beautiful.

As a writer, I've discovered that every book I prepare forces me to become a student again. I research, I read, I ask questions, I compare sources, I change my mind when I find better arguments. I couldn't write any other way.

Perhaps that's why I have so much admiration for those who dedicate their lives to teaching. Because, deep down, a good teacher never stops learning. And I suspect that the best are precisely those who keep their curiosity intact.

There's another idea that I think is important to share, especially with parents. We often think that our children's education belongs exclusively to the school. I don't believe that. The school does an extraordinary job. But we will always be their first teachers.

Our children learn long before they understand words. They learn by observing. They learn how we treat our neighbors. How we react when someone thinks differently. How we talk about those who aren't present. How we manage money. How we resolve conflict. How we apologize. How we acknowledge a mistake.

In a sense, we are all constantly teaching, even when we think we aren't teaching anything. That's why education can never be limited to the content of a curriculum. It also shapes character. And that responsibility doesn't belong solely to the classroom teacher.

It belongs to the entire community surrounding the student: parents, grandparents, relatives, spiritual leaders, coaches, friends, books, even failures. They all end up teaching something.

The real question is what kind of lesson they will leave behind.

I would also like to say a few words to those who are considering a career in teaching. Perhaps they feel the profession has lost prestige. That administrative difficulties are numerous. That resources are scarce. That technology seems to advance faster than educational programs. All of that may be true.

But I also believe that few vocations have such a profound and lasting impact. A teacher rarely knows the full scope of their work. Perhaps a ten-minute conversation changes how a student sees themselves for the rest of their life. Perhaps a single word can let no one give up on a dream. Perhaps a well-formulated question will spark a curiosity that will ultimately benefit thousands of people decades later.

Teaching has something profoundly hopeful about it. It's about sowing seeds without knowing exactly when the harvest will appear. And yet, continuing to sow.

I think artificial intelligence will continue to evolve. The tools will change. The methods will too. That's natural.

What will hardly change is the deeply human need for mentors. People who not only share knowledge, but also wisdom. Who inspire more than they impress. Who guide more than they control. Who shape people, not just professionals.

If that becomes the future of education, then I believe teachers will experience one of the most exciting periods in their history. Because, freed from the obligation to memorize everything, they can dedicate themselves to what has always been the heart of their vocation: helping another human being discover how to learn.

And that learning, if cultivated well, can accompany them throughout their lives.





If you found this reflection helpful and would like to continue this conversation from another angle, I cordially invite you to visit the Libros/Books page of El Tintero de Caballero (Caballero’s Inkwell). There you will find my published works, where many of these ideas come to life through stories, essays, and reflections that seek to continue the dialogue with the reader.

Comentarios

Entradas populares