What Students Teach Us
August 2026 – Series: Lifelong Learning
There's an idea that's often repeated when we think about education: the teacher teaches and the student learns. It's a correct description, but incomplete.
Over the years, I've come to believe that one of the greatest privileges of teaching lies precisely in discovering how much those in front of us teach us.
Every good teacher remains a student.
And, in a way, every good student ends up becoming someone's teacher. Education has never been a one-way street.
Perhaps this is most evident to those who have had the opportunity to teach a class, lead a workshop, or simply explain something they know well. Sooner or later, an unexpected question arises, an insightful observation, or a completely different way of understanding a topic.
Then something wonderful happens. The teacher learns. Not because they were ignorant of the subject, but because they discover a new perspective on it.
That requires humility.
We live in a culture that often associates authority with always being right. However, the best teachers I've ever known were never afraid to say, "I hadn't thought of it that way."
That phrase, far from diminishing their authority, strengthened it. It showed they were still learning. And that inspired their students to do the same.
As a writer, something similar happens to me frequently. Many people think that writing consists solely of conveying one's own ideas. In reality, before writing, I usually spend a lot of time observing, listening, and asking questions. Many of the reflections that later appear in my books or on this very blog were born during conversations with other people.
They don't know it. But they were my teachers for a few minutes. Sometimes, simply listening attentively to a concern, an experience, or a sincere question is enough to discover a topic worth writing about.
In that sense, my readers are also teachers. Because it is they who, with their questions, initiate the conversation.
I think something similar happens in a classroom. The teacher carefully prepares their lesson. The student arrives with their story. One brings the content. The other brings life. And when these two things come together, learning becomes much deeper.
Students teach patience. They teach creativity. They teach that not everyone learns in the same way. They teach that an excellent explanation for one student can be confusing for another. They force the teacher to look for new examples, new words, and new ways to communicate the same truth.
That, too, is learning.
There is another lesson I consider very valuable. Students remind us what it feels like not to know.
Over time, those of us who have mastered a subject run the risk of forgetting how difficult it was to learn it for the first time. What seems obvious to us today was once completely new. Students bring back that memory. They force us to explain without taking anything for granted. And that, interestingly, improves our own understanding of the subject.
I've heard it said that you don't finish learning something until you can teach it. I think there's a lot of truth in that statement. Teaching tests our knowledge. But students test our understanding.
It's not exactly the same thing. Knowing a fact is relatively simple. Understanding it well enough to adapt it to different people requires a much higher level of mastery. Perhaps that's why teaching is so demanding and, at the same time, so rewarding.
I also think that students teach something that transcends any subject. They teach us hope. Each generation asks different questions. Has different concerns. Sees the world with different eyes.
That can be disconcerting if we insist on constantly comparing the present with the past. Or it can become an opportunity to better understand the times we live in.
Personally, I prefer the latter. I enjoy talking with people of different ages. I often discover ways of thinking I hadn't considered. I don't always end up agreeing. But I almost always end up understanding something better.
And understanding human beings better is never a waste of time.
Perhaps that's one of the reasons why I continue to believe so strongly in lifelong learning. As long as there are people willing to share their experiences, we will all continue to have something to learn.
Age doesn't matter. The title doesn't matter. No matter how many books we've read, there will always be someone who can teach us something we still don't know.
That includes children. Teenagers. Young adults. And also older adults, whose experience often constitutes a living library.
True wisdom lies in recognizing that none of us has the whole picture. We all see a part. And when we listen respectfully to the experience of others, our own horizons broaden.
Perhaps that's why I admire good teachers so much. They don't just teach. They also know how to listen. They understand that shaping people isn't about endless talking, but about creating an environment where questions can arise without fear and where learning is a shared adventure.
Ultimately, I believe that education doesn't only happen when someone explains a lesson. It happens when two people meet with the willingness to grow together. That encounter transforms the student. And, almost always, it also transforms the teacher.
Because teaching isn't the end of learning. It's one of its most beautiful forms.
If these reflections have sparked in you a desire to continue learning and discussing life, education, and humanity, I cordially invite you to visit the Libros/Books page of El Tintero de Caballero (Caballero's Inkwell). There you will find my published works, where many of these conversations continue through stories, essays, and reflections written with the same purpose: to learn together as we journey along the path.


Comentarios
Publicar un comentario